St. Louis Divorce Modification Lawyer

Modifying Missouri Child Custody and Support Arrangements

The child custody and support arrangements that are put into place during a divorce may seem appropriate at the time, but, very often, after several years have passed, one or both parties may have good reason to pursue modification of those arrangements.

I am Melissa Featherston, an experienced St. Louis divorce modification attorney. Whether you are looking for a lawyer to help you modify custody and support orders that are no longer working or you have been served with a modification petition, I can help.

Helping Parents Respond to Changed Circumstances

In Missouri, both child custody arrangements and child support orders can be modified by the courts to reflect changes in the parties' personal and financial circumstances. I frequently help clients seek custody and support modifications in response to situations like the following:

  • One parent wants to relocate within Missouri or to another state.
  • A child is having disciplinary or academic problems in his or her current situation.
  • One parent has started a new relationship with someone who is a bad influence.
  • One parent has resolved a problem such as drug or alcohol abuse.
  • One parent has moved back to the area from out of state.
  • A teenage child wants to live exclusively with his or her mother or father.
  • One parent has lost his or her job or started earning a higher income.
  • Child support has not been updated to reflect changes in the state guidelines.

Contested modification cases require an advocate who can help you demonstrate to the court that there has been a substantial change in circumstances. Unlike a typical divorce case, where both parties want to get divorced so they can move on with their lives, in a modification case, one party may be committed to keeping the status quo, forcing the issue into litigation.

Call 314-400-2302 to Talk to a St. Charles Child Support Modification Attorney

If you are interested in pursuing a modification, I can explain your options and advocate for your preferred arrangements. I can also help you oppose a modification request by the other parent. To set up a free consultation, please contact my offices at 314-400-2302 or by e-mail.