St. Louis Child Relocation Lawyer

Helping Parents Pursue and Oppose Relocation Requests

Sharing the upbringing of a child with an ex-spouse can often be frustrating, perhaps never more so than when one party wants to move to take advantage of an opportunity such as a new job, new relationship or better neighborhood and the other party objects to the move.

I am Melissa Featherston, an experienced St. Louis child relocation attorney. If you want to move with your child, move while still retaining your visitation rights, or object to the other parent's relocation request, I can help you pursue the outcome that is right for you and your children.

Understanding Missouri's Parental Relocation Rules

In Missouri, if you have sole or joint custody of a child and you want to move — no matter how far away — you are required to notify the other parent at least 60 days in advance by certified mail, and he or she then has 30 days to file an objection with the court.

In any contested child relocation case, the judge will look at what is in the best interests of the child, and he or she can deny the request or modify both parties' child custody rights.

It is important to consult with an experienced lawyer before making any commitments to relocate so you can get a handle on your options and the potential outcomes. Even if you only want to move within the same city, if the move will necessitate a change in school, activities or transportation, there may be objections that need to be addressed.

Call 314-400-2302 to Talk to a St. Charles Parental Relocation Attorney

Having devoted much of my legal career to family law and litigation, I am fully prepared to take whatever steps are necessary to pursue your desired parental relocation outcome. To schedule a free consultation, please contact my offices at 314-400-2302 or by e-mail.