Featherston Law Group
Free initial Consultation
Local314-400-2302 Toll Free888-203-1942
Contact Menu
Practice Areas View All
Melissa A. Featherston

Man arrested for failure to pay child support

Many people have suffered from economic hardship due to the recent recession experienced in the United States. This had led to many noncustodial parents in Missouri and elsewhere failing to make their child support payments. Failure to do so could lead to parents running into trouble with the law. One father seems to have experienced this when he was recently arrested for nonpayment of child support.

The police had recently attempted to execute a warrant for the arrest of the 36-year-old man for failing to make support payments. They learned the man's work involved the preparation of tax returns and decided to serve the warrant at his place of employment. The police approached the location at approximately 9:30 p.m. one evening in late March.

However, the man saw the police approaching and did not answer the door. The authorities then saw him duck down and attempt to crawl down the stairs. The police officers ended up arresting the man after they discovered him trying to elude them in the basement. The man was additionally accused of obstructing service of the arrest warrant.

Although it is common for parents in Missouri or elsewhere to fall behind on their child support payments, it may not be the best idea to attempt to hide from authorities. This could cause additional problems, including time behind bars if the charges are proved in court. In order to avoid this scenario, parents who have fallen behind on their payments may want to request a modification of child support payments, based upon a showing that their financial circumstances have changed, in order to obtain a more manageable payment schedule.

Source: The Huffington Post, "Steven Jones Child Support: Maywood Deadbeat Dad Tried To Crawl Away, Hide From Cops," March 31, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Featherston Law Group
Local314-400-2302 Toll Free888-203-1942