Featherston Law Group
Free initial Consultation
Local314-400-2302 Toll Free888-203-1942
Contact Menu
Practice Areas View All
Melissa A. Featherston

How can I get custody of my child after paternity is established?

When you know that you are a child's father, you probably want to be as involved as possible in your child's life. It is possible to petition the court for custody of a child once paternity has been legally established. This is done by having the court declare paternity, signing an Affidavit Acknowledging Paternity with the child's mother or filing a Declaration of Paternity.

What do I do if I want custody?

You would file form CAFC201, which is the Petition for Child Custody, if you want to seek custody of your child. This form is meant for people who don't have a parenting plan established already.

Will I get custody once I file the form?

Filing the form isn't an automatic establishment of custody. It is up to the court to determine what custody arrangements are appropriate for the child. You will have to go to court and present your case in order to find out what is going to happen.

What assumptions does the court make?

Missouri typically assumes that joint custody is in the best interests of the child. There are some exceptions to this assumption, such as abuse or drug usage. If the parents aren't able to decide which home will be the child's primary residence for the purpose of mail and school, the court will make this determination.

It is important for you to understand what is going to happen when you seek custody. It is possible to seek visitation if you aren't able or willing to have custody. Knowing what each of these entails might help you to determine which is your preferred arrangement.

Source: Missouri Courts, "Petition for Child Custody," accessed Jan. 13, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Featherston Law Group
Local314-400-2302 Toll Free888-203-1942